Here’s the back piece of the Starsky jacket. I’ve just got to the point where I’m shaping the raglan armholes now.
Doing the pattern has been fun and good practice because I’ve had to learn a couple of new things. My only experience at changing colours in the middle of a row has been with the blanket squares when I had to put some motif in the middle of it. I’ve had a few nightmares with those in all honesty usually because there are gaps when I changed yarn or the motif was puckered.
Now I don’t know if it’s me getting better or just the yarn, but incorporating the brown on this jacket has gone really quite well.
The blocks at the bottom of the piece (and which occur either side of the main section) required me to switch colour every two stitches.
At first I was worried about having a repeat of my blanket square disasters with gaps and puckering etc. But it turned out surprisingly ok. The back of this work looks like this:
It looks reasonably neat, but I didn’t expect to see the yarn in those arrow shapes.
So when I came to do the same pattern further up the piece, I looked in my Knitter’s Bible about Fair-Isle knitting and how to do that technique.
I realised that with fair-isle I didn’t have to twist the yarn at the back as I had been doing. Why you should twist it with intarsia and don’t in fair-isle I’m not quite sure.
Anyway, this time I just brought the cream yarn over the top each time and the brown yarn underneath each time, rather than always bringing the new yarn from underneath, regardless of colour. The front looks the same but this is what it looks like on the back now:
No arrow shapes and it all lies very neatly. I’m quite chuffed.
Now according to my Knitter’s Bible you shouldn’t strand the yarn over more than 3 stitches, but part of the pattern required me to knit 10 in cream and just 2 in brown. So I had to learn yet another technique of weaving in the yarn to carry it along with me. Thanks to some diagrams in a couple of different books, I finally figured out how to do this and was able to carry on quite quickly. The only slight downside is that the woven brown shows through the cream stitches sometimes, but I guess that’s something that will get better with practice.
Hopefully I’ll get the back finished tonight whilst I watch Brothers & Sisters – my fav show of the week at the moment.