I’m doing so well with my knitting so far in 2008.
I sewed up another blanket block:
And I’ve done some more squares (photos and details to follow later in the week).
And because I was dying to try out my new KnitPicks Options, I cast on for a men’s beanie, for my friend’s Dad. I’ve used the colours of the local football team which he supports and found the pattern via Ravelry which I bought from www.tangleonline.com.
The yarn I wanted to use wasn’t the same as the pattern suggested. To get the same gauge and tension, I had to go up 2 needle sizes, which I felt made the yarn look quite loose. I swatched using the size of needle I wanted to use and worked out that I needed an extra two stitches for every 10cm/4in to obtain the same width. So when I cast on, I added an extra 9 stitches in total. Height-wise it doesn’t really matter as you just knit until you reach the required measurement, rather than a specific number of rows.
I’m enjoying using my new circular needles. They are very smooth to use and the point is about the right sort of sharpness. The only problm I have with this hat, is that cable is a bit too long (even the shorter of the two in the options set) and so the stitches are stretched around a bit. I’m worried that this will make the hat a bit misshapen. But I’ll see how it goes. Maybe if I block it properly, it will reshape ok.
I wish that the KnitPicks option set included a shorter cable. If I want one, then I’ll have to buy individual circular needles, and the idea of buying the set was to avoid that issue.
I’ve almost got to the point where I need to start decreasing to shape the crown, and I’m going to have to buy some DPNs of the right size to finish it. It’s annoying that I don’t have them as I reckon I could get this finished this week otherwise.