Gearing up for winter

We’re having a bit of a cold snap here in the UK this week and I finished a new beanie for myself.

It’s a very quick knit – it only took me an afternoon to do – and that’s just as well because I had to frog it a couple of times.

I wanted to do some pattern in the cream yarn, other than stripes, so I played around with vertical stripes (which were too bold) and little diamond shapes (which didn’t really show up very well), and so settled on alternate stitches.

But I didn’t make it big enough.  I’ve used this yarn before and my tension was as per the label, so I just assumed I’d be fine with this hat too.  I measured my head and then worked out how many stitches to cast on, but it wasn’t enough.  For some reason my tension was tighter than before and the hat turned out way too small for my head.

So I had to frog it completely and I started again Sunday afternoon, casting on more stitches.  This time it has turned out just the right size.  I stitched it up on my lunchbreak today and was able to wear it back to work this afternoon.

Advertisements

One thought on “Gearing up for winter

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s