I have started 2015 with renewed enthusiasm to finish my Mirabelle Quilt quickly. All the blocks are now done and I’ve started to sew the sashing between them.
It was fun trying to decide the order in which to lay out the blocks.
I’ve sewed the blocks using various sewing machines at home and in the shop and I became aware that some of the blocks were coming out smaller than they should have been, even though I was trying my hardest to be precise.
Turns out that although I was using 1/4 inch feet on all the machines, some of the seams on the block were quite a generous 1/4 inch, thus making the blocks as much as a half inch too small. The more recently completed blocks were much closer to the 10 inches they should have been because once I’d realised I adjusted the needle position on sewing machine so that it was an accurate 1/4 inch.
Whilst sewing the sashing this week, I’ve had to redo some blocks that were just too small. A few I could stretch, but half an inch is too much! Coincidentally Pat Sloan, one of the Moda fabric designers, published a post about testing your 1/4 inch seams on her blog this week.