I’ve finally finished knitting our baby his first cardigan. I started it before we had the 20 week scan so we didn’t know if it was a boy or girl. I knitted it all apart from the button band and then had to wait till mid-February to know which side to put the buttons and buttonholes on.
Trouble is, I lost momentum then and started knitting something else.
However I picked it up again recently to finish it off and thought to myself that it was look quite large, for the 0-6 months size. When I measured I found that it was a bit too big in places, so I had to undo and shorten both front pieces and the sleeves. (The length of the back was fine!). Don’t know how I measured them before but they were longer than they should have been.
Finally sewed it together and put on the buttons this week and I’m pleased with the outcome.
The last three months have been a bit up and down in terms of my energy levels. I thought the second trimester mums-to-be were meant to have lots of energy again, however this little one still takes it out of me some days! He’s getting quite wriggly and obviously having growing spurts. My friends keep commenting on how much my tummy seems to be growing!
A few weeks ago I spent an hour making a lampshade for the nursery in the Jungle Scenic fabric. Previously we had a lampshade which made the room quite dark, but this new one makes such a difference.
And finally, this week I found some time and energy to make up one of these panels into a quilt for our little one.
I simply added a couple of borders in co-ordinating fabric and backed it with the scenic fabric again to tie in with the lampshade. Instead of a traditional binding, I did the inside-out method (at least this is my name for it!). I put the front and back pieces right sides together with wadding underneath, sewed almost all the way around and turned inside out. I then quilted it and stitched up the gap for turning.
At the weekend, I finished the tank top for my friend’s baby which due next month. They’ve nicknamed “the bump” Herbert for now, hence my calling it Herbert’s Tank Top.
I really enjoyed knitting this. There was some interest with the irish moss stitch top half and it came together really quickly. Had a it of a dense moment with doing the ribbing around the neck. Had to redo it 3 times because I was just making silly mistakes, but sometimes it just goes like that, doesn’t it?
One of my best friends is due to give birth to her first child in March, so last night at Knit ‘n’ Stitch (the new name for Knit ‘n Natter because we don’t just do knitting these days but sewing too) I decided to knit the baby a little tank top. We know that she’s going to have a little boy, which is very helpful.
I decided on a Rico Design knitting pattern – number 150, which has instructions for both a v-neck jumper and tank top. The bottom half is stocking stitch, but the top half is irish moss stitch which provides a bit more interest for both me as the knitter and for the wearer too!
Sadly it’s a discontinued pattern and we don’t have many copies left in the shop. They’ve discontinued lots of lovely baby patterns unfortunately. Don’t know why because they were selling well for us!
Although written using Rico’s Baby So Soft yarn, I picked Rico’s Baby Classic DK yarn instead as I had it mind that I wanted a beige colour, and they don’t do that in the Baby So Soft range.
I was pleased with the progress I made last night. Normally I don’t get much done at Knit ‘n’ Stitch as I’m busy serving customer and helping people. I have the feeling that this is going to be a quick knit which will give me a bit of a boost to my knitting mojo. My last project, the poncho, was easy but took ages!!
Still haven’t blocked my poncho which I finished before Christmas. I will try to do it tonight because I want to start wearing it!
I finished sewing on the buttons at lunchtime and at dinnertime was with my friends handing them this sweater for their 4 month old little boy. Talk about cutting it fine! But I got it done and they really liked it, particularly the way you can unbutton it on one shoulder to make it easier to slip over baby’s head. The v-neck looks very smart too.
Having finished the tunic dress and Hulu Lulu, I ought to crack on and finish the Scandinavian blanket, but no, I’m itching to begin a new project – something for my friend’s little boy. I haven’t knitted a baby jumper for ages so I’ve enjoyed browsing through all the new Sirdar and Sublime baby patterns.
I’ve had quite a lot of time to work on the baby hooded cardigan this week and it’s coming along quite nicely. I did have one hiccup, in that I realised I’d misread the sleeve length and they were too long. So I unravelled and shorted one, and will do the other this week.
I sewed the shoulder seams of the two front pieces to the back in mattress stitch (I still can’t get over how nice seams can look with it!) and have started to knit the hood itself.
My greatest achievement this week was making button holes for it though. I’ve never done them before and the instructions just said to rib 12, cast off 2 etc, then on the return row to rib 13 and cast on 2. As I wasn’t quite sure what I was doing, I turned to my faithful Knitters Bible and read up on button holes. They said that when you get to the point you have to cast on, to turn the work, cast on with the cable cast on method, and before you put the last loop back on the left hand needle, to bring the yarn forward, and this stops gaps.
And it seems to have worked. I have quite neat button holes which aren’t too tight. Yay me!