Buying maternity clothes has not been easy. Hardly any shops have them for you to try on. 99% is online only and it’s very annoying!
So I ordered a Burda pattern to make a top and possibly some cropped trousers too. The pattern said it was super easy and I thought it would be good to have a go at sewing with jersey fabric too, which I’ve never done before.
So this is what I did over the Easter weekend last week.
My first decision was whether to use an overlocker to seam and finish at the same time, or to use a stretch stitch on my sewing machine instead. I chose the latter figuring if something went wrong I’d be able to fix it easier.
My sewing machine has different stretch stitches and overlocking type of stitches for neater finishing of seams, so I experimented on some left over pieces of fabric after cutting out the main pieces and settled on the stitches I would use.
On the whole it was pretty easy to put together. I particularly liked using the twin needle. The hems look quite professional finished this way.
The only issue I had was with the neck. You had to cut a strip, fold it in half lengthways wrong sides together and tack it all the way around the neckline. You stitch in place, snip around the curves, then fold it back inside the top and tack and then top stitch in place. The problem was that when I folded it back inside the top and tacked it, I could see it wasn’t going to lie flat.
After showing Mum, I mentioned that the strip for the neck barely met at the ends. She suggested that I needed to sew the strip into a circle first, slightly shortening it and then ease that into the neckline. It might bring it in.
So I spent ages unpicking the line of stretch stitching that I’d done. It was very tedious and fiddly. Grrr… and after all that, the neck looked even worse and curled out. It was like there was too much fabric when I folded the strip back.
So in the end I didn’t fold it back. The strip was quite happy to sit as it was. So I just neatened the seams and voila!